MS in Architecture / Design Computing - Admissions
Candidates for admission to the Master of Science in Architecture / Design Computing program stream must apply to both the MS in Architecture and the Graduate School of the University of Washington.
ADMISSIONS SERVER INFRASTRUCTURE UPDATE IN PROGRESS TO ACCOMODATE DIGITAL PORTFOLIO. PLEASE DO NOT CREATE A UW APPLICATION FOR GRADUATE STUDY UNTIL OCTOBER 9, 2015. APPLICATIONS CREATED PRIOR TO THIS DATE WILL NOT CONTAIN 2016 ADMISSION INSTRUCTIONS.
There is one admissions cycle each year for this program: February 15 deadline for autumn quarter entry. 2016 applications will be accepted from October 9 - February 15. The Admissions review process will begin after the February 15 deadline.
Admission to the MS in Architecture is a competitive process. The Department of Architecture's MS Program Admissions Committee gives priority to applicants whose apparent abilities will enable them to complete the program expeditiously and with a high level of achievement. In evaluating applicants, the committee considers the following materials:
The first step in the application process is to apply for graduate study at the University of Washington. The Graduate School application website will request the following documents:
- Application for Graduate Study at the University of Washington (online form). Submit this together with the $85 application fee.
- Application for Admisson to the Master of Science in Architecture program. Download this application PDF (the link is also provided on Graduate School Application), and save the form on your computer. Then complete the form and upload it. Be sure to check the "Design Computing" box near the top of the form.
- Transcripts: Upload a PDF copy of your official transcript from each prior degree-awarding school attended. Please ensure that the student name and school name appear and that the scan is legible. If you are scanning original transcripts, make sure the pages are oriented upright for screen viewing (vertical or landscape).
- Letters of recommendation: Applicants will be prompted to provide the name and e-mail address of three recommenders. Recommenders will be immediately sent a link to the online evaluation form via e-mail. A minimum of three letters of recommendation is required. Maximum accepted is four.
- GRE test scores. Report official scores to the UW Institution Code: 4854; Department Code 4401. The application will also prompt you to self-report your test scores. If you have not yet taken the test, please enter the test date on the form. Official scores must be received by the application deadline.
- TOEFL test scores (for international students). Report Official Scores to the UW Institution Code: 4854. Minimum test scores for admission: 92 TOEFLiBT or 7.0 IELTS. The application will also prompt you to self-report your test scores. If you have not yet taken the test, please enter the test date on the form. Official scores must be received by the application deadline.
- Statement of purpose. This statement should clearly articulate your goals and the extent to which the MS in Architecture program can be expected to prepare you for those objectives. The statement should also describe your background and experience in architecture or an allied discipline (or related experience appropriate to the program), as well as preparation for advanced work in design computing. This statement must also include a proposed research focus.
Portfolio: We request that you provide a portfolio of work electronically, as described below. The MS in Architecture / Design Computing portfolio should include evidence of your preparation for study in design computing. In addition to drawings, models, and/or other examples of design work and/or research in architecture or an allied discipline, it may include research papers, information about software authored by the applicant, and similar projects.
- Required file format: PDF - hardcopy portfolios will not be accepted or returned. Portfolios should be designed and formatted for on-screen viewing.
- Cover page is required and must include your name as it appears on your UW application.
- Maximum number of pages: 20 pages (including cover and table of contents)
- Maximum file size: 25MB
If you wish to include web-design, animation, or video content as part of your portfolio, include links to it within your portfolio document. Such content should be limited to no more than two links provided within the portfolio itself.
Do not mail any application materials to our Department. Material will not be reviewed or returned.
Questions about the application process and general questions about the MS Arch / Design Computing stream should be addressed to Graduate Program Adviser, Claudine Manio.
Detailed questions may be addressed to the Program Director, Professor Brian Johnson
Checking Your Application Status
After submission of the online application, you can check the Application Status page to view when letters of recommendation and test scores have been received electronically, and when the portfolio has been received by mail.
Applicants will be notified of a decision by April 15.