Application into the Undergraduate Bachelor of Arts in Architecture requires the following materials, submitted in the order listed, to be considered for entry into the program. All students must also complete the five prerequisite courses prior to submitting applications. These courses are Architecture 200, 231, 350, 351 and 352 and are typically taken in the sophomore year.
There is one admissions cycle each academic year. Applications are due the first Monday of Spring Quarter for the following autumn quarter entry. The Admissions review process will begin after the submission deadline.
- Department Application, typewritten (not handwritten).
- Transcripts of all college-level work. Official or unofficial transcripts are accepted.
- Please write an essay of approximately 750-1000 words (double spaced) communicating your interests and motivation in selecting this major. You should enrich your essay by describing specific experiences that have helped shape your perspective on architecture as a field of study, for example an architecture course you have taken, a book you have read, travel experiences in which architecture played an important role, art or architecture exhibits you have attended, architectural influences or mentors you may have known, etc. Please also include examples of how the Architecture major curriculum fits with your goals and interests.
- Please submit a writing sample from another course (4 – 12 pages double spaced) that demonstrates to the committee your research and writing abilities. Please note the course number and assignment.
- Personal Resume – A typewritten summary of your education, employment history, recreational interests, hobbies, skills, travel, and personal interests.
- Drawing Samples (optional) – We encourage you to submit a selection of drawings from ARCH 200 – Design and Representation I.
- Required file format: PDF (hardcopy applications will not be accepted). Application material should be designed and formatted for on-screen viewing.
- Cover page is required and must include your name as it appears on your UW application.
- Maximum file size: 20MB
Plan ahead! At least a month before the application deadline, start organizing your application.
Make sure you will have up-to-date copies of your transcripts to submit with your application. You may order official and unofficial UW transcripts from 260 Schmitz Hall, or from the Undergraduate Advising, Gateway Center in 171 Mary Gates Hall. If you transferred to the UW, there may be an extra copy of your transfer transcript(s) in your student file; otherwise you will have to order another transcript from your old school. The Transfer Evaluation of College Record (prepared by the Office of Admissions) must accompany all transfer transcripts.
Fill out application completely with the course category listing. If you are unclear about placement of courses to the various categories, consult with an advisor in Undergraduate Advising for Pre-Architecture Majors in Mary Gates Hall. Your course category listing must be signed by you.