The Department of Architecture at the University of Washington occupies two major buildings on the UW campus, Gould Hall and Architecture Hall. The department also provides studio and thesis space in the Gould Hall Annex and the Community Design Building, just west of Gould Hall.
Gould Hall contains the department administrative offices, classrooms, wood and metal shops, photo lab, audio visual resources, architecture and urban design library, digital commons and the Design Coffee Shop.
Architecture Hall houses studios, faculty offices, the Design Machine Group, Archnet and another branch of the Design Coffee Shop. The department also uses facilities at the University of Washington’s Rome Center, and the Integrated Design Lab (IDL) just west of the university.
Gould Hall, built in 1971, is the main building for the Department of architecture. It is named after Carl F. Gould (1873-1939), founder and first Chair of the Department of Architecture. Architect Gene Zema and Professor Daniel Streissguth were the lead designers of Gould Hall, in association with Dale Benedict and professors Grant Hildebrand and Claus Seligmann. Einar Svensson and Professor Robert Albrecht were the structural engineers. The building is reinforced cast-in-place concrete. A large central skylit atrium serves as a gathering place for the college. Gould Hall houses shared college facilities including the library, digital commons, shop, visual resources collection, classrooms, and the dean’s office, as well as spaces for the Departments of Urban Design & Planning and Landscape Architecture.
Architecture Hall was designed in 1907 by Howard & Galloway of San Francisco as a chemistry building, but served as the Fine Arts Palace for the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacfic Exposition (AYPE). In 1937, when the Department of Chemistry moved to the new Bagley Hall, it was renamed Physiology Hall, as the Department of Physiology occupied most of the building. In 1950 Architecture took possession of the building and it was given the name Architecture Hall. Architecture Hall was remodeled by Thomas Hacker & Associates in 2006-2007. It now houses the Department of Construction Management, Department of Architecture studios and faculty offices, and university classrooms. John Stamets, Lecturer of photography in Architecture, produced thorough documention of the renovation from the beginning of construction through completion.
Wood & Metal Shop
The Department of Architecture manages a large, fully staffed and equipped wood-working and metal-working shop. It provides students with the space and equipment needed to design and build models, furniture, and small-scale building components. The shop serves as an instructional facility in conjunction with design studios, structures, materials, and digital fabrication classes; it can also accommodate independent student projects.
Gould Hall houses a photo lab with a traditional film darkroom and a studio space for photographing and lighting large models and other artwork. Despite the rise of digital photography, the Department of Architecture remains committed to foundation courses in film photography. In the Photo Lab studio space, digital cameras are used almost exclusively for photographing models and other student-made objects such as furniture. The Photo Lab is open to all students in the department.
The Visual Resources Collection of the College of Built Environments in 330 Gould Hall consists of approximately 130,000 circulating 35mm slides and over thirty thousand digital images. The images in the collection represent architecture, urban planning, landscape architecture, structures, materials, history, and design. Digital images are accessible on the collection's online database. The collection is staffed by one full-time professional director, a half-time graduate assistant, and two work/study students.
Built Environments Library
The University of Washington libraries comprise one of the largest research library systems in North America, with a collection of nearly six million cataloged volumes, more than fifty thousand currently received serial titles, and several million items in other formats. The Built Environments Library in Gould Hall holds the primary collection of materials on the subjects of architecture, construction management, landscape architecture, and urban design and planning. It includes more than forty thousand books and bound periodicals, over three hundred currently received serial titles and almost eight thousand items in microform and other formats.
The College of Built Environments operates a 5,500 square foot digital laboratory in the basement of Gould Hall. It includes an I/O center with large format scanners and plotters, a help desk, a large digital classroom, an open lab with Windows and Macintosh workstations, and a lounge area equipped with digital projectors and white boards.
Archnet, based in G51 in Architecture Hall, is the technology services lab within the College of Built Environments. It provides technology and design studio computing resources with support for both Windows and Mac OS platforms. Within the lab are design studio workstations, personal computers, laserjet printers and plotters, and student software for use while connected to the Archnet network domain.
Integrated Design Lab
The Integrated Design Lab, formerly known as the Daylighting Lab, was started over a decade ago as an element of the Lighting Design Lab in Seattle, WA. With the support of Northwest Energy Efficiency Alliance’s BetterBricks Lab Network, state agencies, and the public universities, the original lab in Seattle has expanded into a network of labs across Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana.
The staff consists of lighting consultants and student interns from the UW who are always happy to help other UW students with their lighting questions. Students can contact IDL staff to use the facilities.
Facilities at the IDL include: a Lighting Demonstration Area; a Heliodon for examining how direct sunlight interacts with an architect's building design; an Overcast Sky Simulator; a Mock-up Room for testing electric lighting ideas; and a Lighting Classroom for lectures and discussions.
The University of Washington Rome Center is a multidisciplinary academic center located in the Palazzo Pio, in the historic center of Rome, Italy. Administered by the College of Built Environments, the Rome Center hosts almost two dozen academic programs from a wide variety of UW units, as well as conferences and short courses. The Rome Center provides studio and classroom space for the Department of Architecture's annual Architecture in Rome program. A library of approximately 2000 volumes and a 15-machine computer lab are accessible to students in Rome Center programs during working hours and some evenings.